Quantcast

About the manual (gcrypt.texi)

Peter Wu-2
Hi,

While reading the manual I noticed this text:

> Libgcrypt is developed using a Subversion3 repository.

This should probably be changed to Git.

> Although all released versions are tagged in this repository, they
> should not be used to build production versions of Libgcrypt. Instead
> released tarballs should be used.

This part I do not really understand, why would a git tag where you
manually run autogen.sh be different? Have there been issues in the
past?
--
Kind regards,
Peter Wu

Re: About the manual (gcrypt.texi)

NIIBE Yutaka
Peter Wu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Libgcrypt is developed using a Subversion3 repository.
>
> This should probably be changed to Git.

Yes.  Good catch.

> This part I do not really understand, why would a git tag where you
> manually run autogen.sh be different? Have there been issues in the
> past?

I think that it means the dependency to autotools.  Not all user have
same version of autoconf/automake on their systems.  It is common
problem (not only in the past, but still is), different version of
autoconf/automake causes an issue.

On Wed,  8 Feb 2017 14:55, [hidden email] said:

> This should probably be changed to Git.

Thanks for reporting,

> This part I do not really understand, why would a git tag where you
> manually run autogen.sh be different? Have there been issues in the

It is sometimes not possible to replicate problems when software has
been build from git.  For example, different versions of autotools are
used, files may be in the repo which are not distributed, and there
won't be a well defined version number.

Even with tarballs we sometimes run into problems because some Linux
distributions replace parts of the build environment (i.e. running
autoreconf).  In general this is not a problem as long as we known
that for example the Debian version 1.7.5 is used.