Cannot encrypt to reenabled key after migration

Cannot encrypt to reenabled key after migration

Derek Tye
Hey folks,
I have a keypair that was created with gpg 1.4.20 and currently is disabled.
I installed gpg 2.1.20 and tried to enable this key, but get the following error:

\>gpg --edit-key testkey
gpg (GnuPG) 2.1.20; Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

gpg: starting migration from earlier GnuPG versions
gpg: porting secret keys from '.../gnupgHome/secring.gpg' to gpg-agent
gpg: key C4EE06ABF10675C4: secret key imported
gpg: migration succeeded
gpg: checking the trustdb
gpg: waiting for file '.../gnupgHome/pubring.gpg' to become accessible ...
gpg: waiting for file '.../gnupgHome/pubring.gpg' to become accessible ...
gpg: waiting for file '.../gnupgHome/pubring.gpg' to become accessible ...
gpg: waiting for file '.../gnupgHome/pubring.gpg' to become accessible ...
^C

When I repeat the edit-key command it works ok.

Then I want to encrypt something to this key, but get the same error message:
\>gpg --encrypt -r testkey
gpg: checking the trustdb
gpg: waiting for file 'Z:/Anwendungsdaten/gnupgHome/pubring.gpg' to become accessible ...
gpg: waiting for file 'Z:/Anwendungsdaten/gnupgHome/pubring.gpg' to become accessible ...
gpg: waiting for file 'Z:/Anwendungsdaten/gnupgHome/pubring.gpg' to become accessible ...
^C
\>gpg --encrypt -r testkey
gpg: checking the trustdb
gpg: waiting for file 'Z:/Anwendungsdaten/gnupgHome/pubring.gpg' to become accessible ...
^C
\>gpg --encrypt -r testkey
gpg: checking the trustdb
gpg: waiting for file 'Z:/Anwendungsdaten/gnupgHome/pubring.gpg' to become accessible ...
gpg: waiting for file 'Z:/Anwendungsdaten/gnupgHome/pubring.gpg' to become accessible ...
gpg: waiting for file 'Z:/Anwendungsdaten/gnupgHome/pubring.gpg' to become accessible ...
^C

As you can see it never works, until I use list-key or list-public-key command. After this I am able to encrypt to this key.
(I am using Windows 8.1 64.)

Anybody had/has this problem too?

Regards
Derek

Re: Cannot encrypt to reenabled key after migration

MFPA-5

Re: Cannot encrypt to reenabled key after migration

Derek Tye

On Wednesday 12 April 2017 at 12:45:09 PM, in
<[hidden email]>,
Derek Tye wrote:-

> gpg: waiting for file '.../gnupgHome/pubring.gpg' to
> become accessible ...

I have encountered a problem with 2.1.20 writing to my public keyring.
I was using the pre-compiled binaries on Windows 10.

When editing/refreshing keys, or running gpg --check-trustdb, at the
end of the operation the command window gradually fills up with
repeated lines of:-

gpg: waiting for file 'C:/[path]/gnupg/pubring.kbx' to become
accessible ...

These lines keep coming until I close the command window, or CTRL C
then RETURN, or terminate "GnuPG's OpenPGP tool (32 bit)" in Task
Manager.

Oddly, creating new keys does not seem to trigger this. (Or else the
problem is intermittent.)

The problem went away when I switched back to GnuPG 2.1.19.

Thank you for the hint. The message went way with 2.1.19.

Regards
Derek

Re: Cannot encrypt to reenabled key after migration

Daniel Kahn Gillmor-7
Hi MFPA--

On Wed 2017-04-12 15:21:38 +0100, MFPA wrote:

> I have encountered a problem with 2.1.20 writing to my public keyring.
> I was using the pre-compiled binaries on Windows 10.
>
> When editing/refreshing keys, or running gpg --check-trustdb, at the
> end of the operation the command window gradually fills up with
> repeated lines of:-
>
> gpg: waiting for file 'C:/[path]/gnupg/pubring.kbx' to become
> accessible ...
>
> These lines keep coming until I close the command window, or CTRL C
> then RETURN, or terminate "GnuPG's OpenPGP tool (32 bit)" in Task
> Manager.
>
> Oddly, creating new keys does not seem to trigger this. (Or else the
> problem is intermittent.)
>
> The problem went away when I switched back to GnuPG 2.1.19.

I've just opened a bug report about this at https://dev.gnupg.org/T3097

     --dkg

Re: Cannot encrypt to reenabled key after migration

Martin Schoch-2
Re: Cannot encrypt to reenabled key after migration Hi

Am Mittwoch, 12. April 2017, 13:45:09 schreiben Sie:

Hey folks,
I have a keypair that was created with gpg 1.4.20 and currently is disabled.
I installed gpg 2.1.20 and tried to enable this key, but get the following error:

\>gpg --edit-key testkey
gpg (GnuPG) 2.1.20; Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

gpg: starting migration from earlier GnuPG versions
gpg: porting secret keys from '.../gnupgHome/secring.gpg' to gpg-agent
gpg: key C4EE06ABF10675C4: secret key imported
gpg: migration succeeded
gpg: checking the trustdb
gpg: waiting for file '.../gnupgHome/pubring.gpg' to become accessible ...
gpg: waiting for file '.../gnupgHome/pubring.gpg' to become accessible ...
gpg: waiting for file '.../gnupgHome/pubring.gpg' to become accessible ...
gpg: waiting for file '.../gnupgHome/pubring.gpg' to become accessible ...

Yes, exactly same problem on Windows 7 - 32bit Version.

I swichted back to GnuPG 2.1.19 - and there this problem doesn't exist.

--
Regards
Martin