Did exit codes change in 2.1.21?

Philip Jocks
Hi,

we're using duply/duplicity with gnupg on FreeBSD and upgraded a few machines to gnupg 2.1.21 yesterday. That made the backups stop working, as some selftest doesn't work.
Running this:

echo "passphrase" | gpg --sign --default-key AAAAAAAA --passphrase-fd 0 --batch -r AAAAAAAA -r BBBBBBBB -r CCCCCCCC -r DDDDDDDD --status-fd 1 --pinentry-mode=loopback --compress-algo=bzip2 --bzip2-compress-level=9 -o /tmp/duply.2979.1495090227_ENC -e /usr/local/bin/duply ; echo $?

on 2.1.20 returns 0 and on 2.1.21, it now returns 2

I posted this message on the duply/duplicty mailing list, but given that gpg's exit code changed, it's probably not a problem in duply:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/duplicity-talk/2017-05/msg00041.html

What seems to be "new" in the 2.1.21 output is

gpg: error getting version from 'scdaemon': Not supported
[GNUPG:] CARDCTRL 6

We don't build the FreeBSD port with SCDAEMON support. To verify, we built it for one box with SCDAEMON support, but the error is still the same.

Is there anything else we can try?

Cheers,

Philip

Re: Did exit codes change in 2.1.21?

NIIBE Yutaka
Philip Jocks <[hidden email]> wrote:
> gpg: error getting version from 'scdaemon': Not supported
> [GNUPG:] CARDCTRL 6

This is due to my badness.  I wrongly assumed everyone uses smartcard.
:-)

> Is there anything else we can try?

Here is my fix:
   https://dev.gnupg.org/rGa8dd96826f8484c0ae93c954035b95c2a75c80f2

Please try this patch.

Re: Did exit codes change in 2.1.21?

Philip Jocks
Hej,

> Here is my fix:
>   https://dev.gnupg.org/rGa8dd96826f8484c0ae93c954035b95c2a75c80f2
>
> Please try this patch.

seems to work. Now the exit code is 0 again, as expected. When building without SCDAEMON support, I get

gpg: WARNING: server 'scdaemon' is older than us ((null) < 2.1.21)
[GNUPG:] WARNING server_version_mismatch 0 server 'scdaemon' is older than us ((null) < 2.1.21)

When building with SCDAEMON support, this warning disappears as expected.

With or without SCDAEMON support, gpg now properly exits 0 again.

Will there be a 2.1.22 soon to fix this?

Cheers,

Philip