Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Question for app developers, like Enigmail etc. - Identicons

123

Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Question for app developers, like Enigmail etc. - Identicons

Stefan Claas-2
On 06.06.17 12:46, Peter Lebbing wrote:

> On 06/06/17 05:30, Duane Whitty wrote:
>> As I understand the concept of TOFU (Trust On First Use), when you
>> receive a signed email gpg tests that signature against the key
>> retrieved from the public key servers associated with the email.

> TOFU is about *consistency*. It says: this e-mail is signed by the same
> key you've seen on all the earlier messages you received from this
> e-mail address. It keeps count, and alerts you when all of a sudden you
> start receiving signatures made by a different key.

Is TOFU verifying the email address from the from: header of the message
and then compares it with the email address in the UID? I ask, because
if i would use a free form UID with no email address, or i use an Anon
Remailer with a nym account where both email addresses are not identical.

> Note that it can also be combined with the Web of Trust. You could use
> TOFU just to track consistency and not award validity to keys, or you
> could use TOFU to award marginal validity and obtain the remaining
> validity from, e.g., marginally trusted Web of Trust signatures.
>
> But TOFU isn't for everyone, and neither is the Web of Trust. It's your
> call.
>
> By the way, it is my feeling Stefan Claas is looking for TOFU. The
> Identicon scheme feels like TOFU with the database on external storage,
> to wit, the user's brain :). Better to store that database on disk,
> IMHO. The (only) net loss is that there is no synchronization between
> different devices.

I just installed modern GnuPG and used it with two inline PGP messages from
Usenet and i like it. :-)

> My Enigmail works with TOFU, although I can't see any statistics. But it
> correctly awards a green bar with "Good signature" to my TOFU-verified keys.

I tried also with Enigmail under OS X but when checking the signatures here
from the list members i always get the blue "Untrusted Good Signature".

Regards
Stefan

Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Question for app developers, like Enigmail etc. - Identicons

Charlie Jonas
On 2017-06-06 19:12, Stefan Claas wrote:
> I tried also with Enigmail under OS X but when checking the signatures here
> from the list members i always get the blue "Untrusted Good Signature".

Yes I get this as well. Interestingly whatever trust level I give keys,
Enigmail on OSX seems to want to make the bar blue regardless.

--
Charlie Jonas                 [hidden email]

On 06.06.17 20:46, Charlie Jonas wrote:
> On 2017-06-06 19:12, Stefan Claas wrote:
>> I tried also with Enigmail under OS X but when checking the signatures here
>> from the list members i always get the blue "Untrusted Good Signature".
> Yes I get this as well. Interestingly whatever trust level I give keys,
> Enigmail on OSX seems to want to make the bar blue regardless.

Thanks for confirming. Hopefully Ludwig still follows this thread and
can tell us why it's not working, as expected.

Regards
Stefan

Re: Question for app developers, like Enigmail etc. - Identicons

Peter Lebbing
On 06/06/17 20:12, Stefan Claas wrote:
> Is TOFU verifying the email address from the from: header of the message
> and then compares it with the email address in the UID?

Yes.

> I ask, because
> if i would use a free form UID with no email address

That would make it difficult.

>, or i use an Anon
> Remailer with a nym account where both email addresses are not identical.

This doesn't seem like a problem, depending on some assumptions. In the
usual case where you wouldn't want the two accounts linked to the same
person, you would use two completely separate certificates, each with
their own pseudonym with nym address.

If you don't care that peole realize they belong to the same person, you
would create two UIDs on the same key, one for each nym account.

> I just installed modern GnuPG and used it with two inline PGP messages from
> Usenet and i like it. :-)

Good to hear :-).

> I tried also with Enigmail under OS X but when checking the signatures here
> from the list members i always get the blue "Untrusted Good Signature".

Did you already enable TOFU? It needs a line in your gpg.conf. Either:

trust-model tofu

or

trust-model tofu+pgp

The latter combines it with the Web of Trust. See the manpage for more
info. gpg.conf is in your GnuPG homedir. I think this is ~/.gnupg by
default on OS X as well.

HTH,

Peter.

Re: Question for app developers, like Enigmail etc. - Identicons

Peter Lebbing
On 06/06/17 20:46, Charlie Jonas wrote:
> On 2017-06-06 19:12, Stefan Claas wrote:
>> I tried also with Enigmail under OS X but when checking the signatures here
>> from the list members i always get the blue "Untrusted Good Signature".
>
> Yes I get this as well. Interestingly whatever trust level I give keys,
> Enigmail on OSX seems to want to make the bar blue regardless.

You mean with "Set Owner's Trust of Sender's Key" in Enigmail? That's
the wrong one. There's key validity and owner's trust. Key validity is
about whether you believe the key belongs to the person indicated.
Owner's trust is to what extent you trust that person to correctly
verify other people's identities.

You should sign the key to make it valid, not set its owner's trust.
It's a common misconception.

HTH,

Peter.

Am 07.06.2017 um 11:04 schrieb Peter Lebbing:

> On 06/06/17 20:12, Stefan Claas wrote:
>> Is TOFU verifying the email address from the from: header of the message
>> and then compares it with the email address in the UID?
> Yes.
>
>> I ask, because
>> if i would use a free form UID with no email address
> That would make it difficult.
>
>> , or i use an Anon
>> Remailer with a nym account where both email addresses are not identical.
> This doesn't seem like a problem, depending on some assumptions. In the
> usual case where you wouldn't want the two accounts linked to the same
> person, you would use two completely separate certificates, each with
> their own pseudonym with nym address.
>
> If you don't care that peole realize they belong to the same person, you
> would create two UIDs on the same key, one for each nym account.

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation!
>> I just installed modern GnuPG and used it with two inline PGP messages from
>> Usenet and i like it. :-)
> Good to hear :-).
I love the idea of TOFU and it's great that it is implemented in modern
GnuPG. :-)
Kudos and respect to the person who had this idea!

>> I tried also with Enigmail under OS X but when checking the signatures here
>> from the list members i always get the blue "Untrusted Good Signature".
> Did you already enable TOFU? It needs a line in your gpg.conf. Either:
>
> trust-model tofu
>
> or
>
> trust-model tofu+pgp
Yes, i did that and it works fine in command-line mode which also shows
me the statistics.

Regards
Stefan

On 07/06/17 11:04, Peter Lebbing wrote:
> On 06/06/17 20:12, Stefan Claas wrote:
>> Is TOFU verifying the email address from the from: header of the message
>> and then compares it with the email address in the UID?
>
> Yes.

Actually, that's not really correct. It also works without a From:. I
don't know the details by heart, and I spoke too easily. TOFU verifies
the consistency of the binding between a key and the e-mail address in a
UID. So if so far you've seen a particular key being used for signatures
from <[hidden email]> and suddenly it's signed by a different key that
also has an e-mail address <[hidden email]>, TOFU will alert you that
this is not what it expected to see.

Your e-mail client can also verify the consistency between the UID and
the From:, but GnuPG primarily checks the consistency of the mapping
between key and UID on the key. And it also works on the command line,
where no From: is available. It will not alert you of similar-looking
e-mail addresses, since this is really hard to solve, but the statistics
printed will hopefully make you notice that even though you should see
"10 signatures verified in the past month", it suddenly says "0
signatures verified so far" and this tells you it is not the same key as
before.

HTH,

Peter.

Am 07.06.2017 um 13:21 schrieb Peter Lebbing:

> On 07/06/17 11:04, Peter Lebbing wrote:
>> On 06/06/17 20:12, Stefan Claas wrote:
>>> Is TOFU verifying the email address from the from: header of the message
>>> and then compares it with the email address in the UID?
>> Yes.
> Actually, that's not really correct. It also works without a From:. I
> don't know the details by heart, and I spoke too easily. TOFU verifies
> the consistency of the binding between a key and the e-mail address in a
> UID. So if so far you've seen a particular key being used for signatures
> from <[hidden email]> and suddenly it's signed by a different key that
> also has an e-mail address <[hidden email]>, TOFU will alert you that
> this is not what it expected to see.
Thanks, that's what i assumed.

> It will not alert you of similar-looking
> e-mail addresses, since this is really hard to solve, but the statistics
> printed will hopefully make you notice that even though you should see
> "10 signatures verified in the past month", it suddenly says "0
> signatures verified so far" and this tells you it is not the same key as
> before.
In Enigmail with the blue and green bar (without showing statistics) it
would simply mean
that it switches from green to blue, right?

Regards
Stefan

TOFU (was: Question for app developers, like Enigmail etc. - Identicons)

Peter Lebbing
On 07/06/17 13:49, Stefan Claas wrote:
> In Enigmail with the blue and green bar (without showing statistics) it
> would simply mean
> that it switches from green to blue, right?

Not necessarily!

I don't know if Enigmail checks whether the From: is equal to the key
UID, but we're talking about look-alike addresses here, not completely
equal addresses, so even that wouldn't help.

It would, depending on tofu-default-policy, potentially be marked as
Good with a green bar! It is from a new key from an e-mail address never
before seen. With the default tofu-default-policy, it would *not* be
green, because it would only get marginal validity. But with
tofu-default-policy good, it would get marked as valid because there
doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. It's only a visual similarity
that fools the user, but a computer is an exact device and doesn't know
they look similar to you.

I hope Enigmail will add the TOFU statistics to the displayed
information. Or maybe they already did, I see that I'm using Debian
jessie's enigmail package for Enigmail, and Debian jessie/stable has
pretty old packages (well maintained, but old).

HTH,

Peter.

Re: TOFU

Stefan Claas-2
Am 07.06.2017 um 14:24 schrieb Peter Lebbing:

> On 07/06/17 13:49, Stefan Claas wrote:
>> In Enigmail with the blue and green bar (without showing statistics) it
>> would simply mean
>> that it switches from green to blue, right?
> Not necessarily!
>
> I don't know if Enigmail checks whether the From: is equal to the key
> UID, but we're talking about look-alike addresses here, not completely
> equal addresses, so even that wouldn't help.
>
> It would, depending on tofu-default-policy, potentially be marked as
> Good with a green bar! It is from a new key from an e-mail address never
> before seen. With the default tofu-default-policy, it would *not* be
> green, because it would only get marginal validity. But with
> tofu-default-policy good, it would get marked as valid because there
> doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. It's only a visual similarity
> that fools the user, but a computer is an exact device and doesn't know
> they look similar to you.
>
> I hope Enigmail will add the TOFU statistics to the displayed
> information. Or maybe they already did, I see that I'm using Debian
> jessie's enigmail package for Enigmail, and Debian jessie/stable has
> pretty old packages (well maintained, but old).

Thank you very much for the Information! Then i have to wait until an
Enigmail with TOFU version will be released to see how it works.

Since TOFU interests me very much i will check what command line based
email clients with GnuPG support for OS X are available and run then
some tests from different email accounts.

Regards
Stefan

Re: TOFU

Andrew Gallagher
On 2017/06/07 13:24, Peter Lebbing wrote:
> Not necessarily!
>
> I don't know if Enigmail checks whether the From: is equal to the key
> UID, but we're talking about look-alike addresses here, not completely
> equal addresses, so even that wouldn't help.

If I send an email to myself from my new work email, but sign it with my
old personal key (which doesn't have my new work email as a UID), it
still shows up as green in Enigmail. Now, that may be because I'm using
an ultimately trusted key - but it's still not what one might naively
expect.

Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Question for app developers, like Enigmail etc. - Identicons

Ludwig Hügelschäfer-2
Hi Stefan,

On 06.06.17 22:19, Stefan Claas wrote:

> On 06.06.17 20:46, Charlie Jonas wrote:
>> On 2017-06-06 19:12, Stefan Claas wrote:
>>> I tried also with Enigmail under OS X but when checking the
>>> signatures here from the list members i always get the blue
>>> "Untrusted Good Signature".
>> Yes I get this as well. Interestingly whatever trust level I give
>> keys, Enigmail on OSX seems to want to make the bar blue
>> regardless.
>>
> Thanks for confirming. Hopefully Ludwig still follows this thread
> and can tell us why it's not working, as expected.
It's working as expected. To get a green bar in Enigmails header
display, the key signing the message has to be at least fully valid. A
key gets valid if you either:

- sign it (whether local or exportable is not relevant)

or

- it is signed by
  - at least one key you have signed and you have put "full" ownertrust
    on these
  - at least three other keys you have signed and you have put
    "marginal" ownertrust on these

This is the behaviour of the "classic" or "PGP" trust model which is
the default in GnuPG. Enigmail only displays the result.

You may read more about this here:
https://enigmail.wiki/Key_Management#The_Web_of_Trust

There's a lot more information about the web of trust out in the web.

Disclaimer: Configuring GnuPG to use the TOFU trust model may change
this behaviour.

Ludwig

BTW: Could you please stop forwarding your replies to the list? Now
there are 6 threads titled "Question for app developers, like Enigmail
etc. - Identicons" on the list. Just click on "Reply to list" when
replying. Thanks.

On 07.06.17 22:23, Ludwig Hügelschäfer wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> On 06.06.17 22:19, Stefan Claas wrote:
>>> Yes I get this as well. Interestingly whatever trust level I give
>>> keys, Enigmail on OSX seems to want to make the bar blue
>>> regardless.
>>>
>> Thanks for confirming. Hopefully Ludwig still follows this thread
>> and can tell us why it's not working, as expected.
> It's working as expected. To get a green bar in Enigmails header
> display, the key signing the message has to be at least fully valid. A
> key gets valid if you either:
>
> - sign it (whether local or exportable is not relevant)
>
> or
>
> - it is signed by
>   - at least one key you have signed and you have put "full" ownertrust
>     on these
>   - at least three other keys you have signed and you have put
>     "marginal" ownertrust on these
>
> This is the behaviour of the "classic" or "PGP" trust model which is
> the default in GnuPG. Enigmail only displays the result.

Thanks, i'm aware of the classic trust model.

> You may read more about this here:
> https://enigmail.wiki/Key_Management#The_Web_of_Trust
>
> There's a lot more information about the web of trust out in the web.
>
> Disclaimer: Configuring GnuPG to use the TOFU trust model may change
> this behaviour.

I configured GnuPG to use the TOFU model and expected that Enigmail
would switch from blue Untrusted to green when TOFU gives "full" trust
to a pub key. For example when i downloaded a signed Usenet message
as a test (where Enigmail showed me a blue bar) and let GnuPG verify
the saved file manually it gave me the statistics. After downloading a
second file, where Enigmail correctly showed the blue bar again, i ran
the file via GnuPG and it gave "full" trust to the message. After that
i klicked again in Enigmail in the Usenet thread and voila i had a green
bar. So that is the reason why i thought Enigmail would give me with
the new trust model also a green bar when checking here list members
messages.

Regards
Stefan

And appologies for the multiple thread chaos!

Re: TOFU

Stefan Claas-2

Re: TOFU

Stefan Claas-2
On 08.06.17 22:33, Stefan Claas wrote:

[snip]

bad signature and mangled text. I don't like
how the Editor in Thunderbird works! I look like
an idiot here on the list with my postings.

Regards
Stefan

Re: TOFU

Stefan Claas-2
On 07.06.17 14:24, Peter Lebbing wrote:
> On 07/06/17 13:49, Stefan Claas wrote:
>> In Enigmail with the blue and green bar (without showing statistics) it
>> would simply mean
>> that it switches from green to blue, right?
> Not necessarily!

I have one more question if you don't mind. One of my tests showed
me the difference between the classic way Enigmail handles the
Untrusted blue signatures and how TOFU handles this.

Now my question as a Mac dummie and TOFU newbie. If Mallory would
gain tomorrow access to my Computer, but not to my passphrase and
he would replace one pub key in my pubring and modify the TOFU
database, how would TOFU handle this? Would TOFU alert me again
that there is a second key with the same email address?

Regards
Stefan

Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Question for app developers, like Enigmail etc. - Identicons

Stefan Claas-2

On 07.06.17 22:23, Ludwig Hügelschäfer wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> On 06.06.17 22:19, Stefan Claas wrote:
>>> Yes I get this as well. Interestingly whatever trust level I give
>>> keys, Enigmail on OSX seems to want to make the bar blue
>>> regardless.
>>>
>> Thanks for confirming. Hopefully Ludwig still follows this thread
>> and can tell us why it's not working, as expected.
> It's working as expected. To get a green bar in Enigmails header
> display, the key signing the message has to be at least fully valid. A
> key gets valid if you either:
>
> - sign it (whether local or exportable is not relevant)
>
> or
>
> - it is signed by
>   - at least one key you have signed and you have put "full" ownertrust
>     on these
>   - at least three other keys you have signed and you have put
>     "marginal" ownertrust on these
>
> This is the behaviour of the "classic" or "PGP" trust model which is
> the default in GnuPG. Enigmail only displays the result.

Hi Ludwig,

I just checked again. On my Mac and on my Windows Notebook
i get a green bar , from a blue "Untrusted" key when i go into
Enigmails Key Management and set the trust of that key to
Ultimate...

On 12/06/17 14:52, Stefan Claas wrote:
> I just checked again. On my Mac and on my Windows Notebook
> i get a green bar , from a blue "Untrusted" key when i go into
> Enigmails Key Management and set the trust of that key to
> Ultimate...

Don't do this! Or did you do it just for testing? "Ultimate" is for your
own keys. It makes the key itself valid and all keys signed by that key.
It's the odd one out, as the other trust levels only determine the
validity of other keys signed by that key but don't affect the key itself.

To make a key valid, sign it with a local signature. Or an exportable
signature, your choice.

HTH,

Peter.

On 12.06.17 16:06, Peter Lebbing wrote:

> On 12/06/17 14:52, Stefan Claas wrote:
>> I just checked again. On my Mac and on my Windows Notebook
>> i get a green bar , from a blue "Untrusted" key when i go into
>> Enigmails Key Management and set the trust of that key to
>> Ultimate...
> Don't do this! Or did you do it just for testing? "Ultimate" is for your
> own keys. It makes the key itself valid and all keys signed by that key.
> It's the odd one out, as the other trust levels only determine the
> validity of other keys signed by that key but don't affect the key itself.
>
> To make a key valid, sign it with a local signature. Or an exportable
> signature, your choice.

I did that for testing! And a question for this... If Mallory would get
somehow access to my Computer and replace one pub key from my
communication partners with a fake one and sets the trust level to
Ultimate. How can i detect this, if i'm not always looking at the
complete Fingerprint and compare it with a separate list?

Regards
Stefan

Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Question for app developers, like Enigmail etc. - Identicons

Peter Lebbing
I hadn't gotten round to answer your earlier questions yet, since I
noticed a point I should first spend some effort and thinking on.

On 12/06/17 16:14, Stefan Claas wrote:
> And a question for this... If Mallory would get
> somehow access to my Computer and replace one pub key from my
> communication partners with a fake one and sets the trust level to
> Ultimate. How can i detect this, if i'm not always looking at the
> complete Fingerprint and compare it with a separate list?

It is impossible to use any form of cryptography in a secure fashion
when somebody is in a position to mess with the computer you're using it
on. Worst is someone with administrator privileges, but somebody with
the same privileges as you is already more than enough to completely
subvert your security.

They could alter your search path and put their own binaries in them.
Any program you launch, be it GnuPG, your e-mail client, your shell, or
any other program you use, could be replaced by something else. Same for
your data files, as you point out.

Your user account needs to be secure from evildoers. It depends on your
threat model how you go about this.

HTH,

Peter.

123