GNU.org libgcrypt homepage

Antoine Morvan
Hi,

I was trying to access the development versions of libgcrypt from URL ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/alpha/libgcrypt/, as specified on the page https://www.gnu.org/software/libgcrypt/.
However the server returns error 550: "directory does not exist". I was able to get the code on git, but just wanted to mention that broken link.

Best regards.

--
Antoine Morvan
Research Engineer

Re: GNU.org libgcrypt homepage

Hanno Böck-4
On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 11:43:21 +0100 (CET)
Antoine Morvan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was trying to access the development versions of libgcrypt from URL
> ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/alpha/libgcrypt/, as specified on the page
> https://www.gnu.org/software/libgcrypt/. However the server returns
> error 550: "directory does not exist". I was able to get the code on
> git, but just wanted to mention that broken link.

This may be because someone decided it's the sane thing to switch off
ftp. It's an inherently insecure protocol (there is ftp+tls, but no
browser supports it, so it's not an option for downloads).

Here's the right URL:
 https://gnupg.org/ftp/gcrypt/libgcrypt/

Someone should just update the webpage.

--
Hanno Böck
https://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: [hidden email]
GPG: FE73757FA60E4E21B937579FA5880072BBB51E42

Re: GNU.org libgcrypt homepage

Werner Koch
On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 21:55, [hidden email] said:

> This may be because someone decided it's the sane thing to switch off
> ftp. It's an inherently insecure protocol (there is ftp+tls, but no

Nope.  It is merely that there is no alpha/libgcrypt directory anymore.

We provide signatures for all files on the ftp server.  Checking the
signatures is a far better practice than to rely on a public exposed
server and the questionable security of X.509 secured TLS connections.

> Here's the right URL:
>  https://gnupg.org/ftp/gcrypt/libgcrypt/

The landing page is

  https://gnupg.org/related_software/libgcrypt/

which tells you the current version.

I'll change the gnu.org page to redirect to the above thing.