How to use a the same generated keypair on enigmail/thunderbird and iOS Mail

How to use a the same generated keypair on enigmail/thunderbird and iOS Mail

E.Keen

Dear community,

I am very passionate about cyber security and working against mass
surveillance. I therefore try to stay informed about security
measurements and encryption.

Nevertheless, I do have a problem which I cannot solve by myself.

I generated a keypair using enigmail on thunderbird for this email address.
Now, I'd like to use the same address with the same encryption keys on
an iOS device.
However, I don't know how to transfer the private key securely without
anyone else being able to obtain it.
Someone informed me that there might be a possibility to type in the
private key manually.

I 'd appreciate any help or further information you might give me.

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards,

E.Keen

Re: How to use a the same generated keypair on enigmail/thunderbird and iOS Mail

Fabian A. Santiago
July 16, 2017 11:41 AM, "E.Keen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear community,
>
> I am very passionate about cyber security and working against mass
> surveillance. I therefore try to stay informed about security
> measurements and encryption.
>
> Nevertheless, I do have a problem which I cannot solve by myself.
>
> I generated a keypair using enigmail on thunderbird for this email address.
> Now, I'd like to use the same address with the same encryption keys on
> an iOS device.
> However, I don't know how to transfer the private key securely without
> anyone else being able to obtain it.
> Someone informed me that there might be a possibility to type in the
> private key manually.
>
> I 'd appreciate any help or further information you might give me.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> E.Keen

people out there correct me if I'm wrong,

iOS natively won't make use of gpg keys, only s/mime. so you'd be relying on a 3rd party app to handle encrypted email using the former. unless you also have an s/mime key pair to use, then iOS' mail app will use it.

said 3rd party app may allow you to transfer the key(s) to your device by way of itunes. i forget the exact place (something to do with app syncing i think) but there would be a place you can copy the files you wish to have sync'd to your mobile device. then the app would pick it up from there.

i've used one such app before in the distant past but forget its name and don't currently have an ios device on me to look around but you can probably find something in the app store.

Fabian S.

Re: How to use a the same generated keypair on enigmail/thunderbird and iOS Mail

Jürgen Polster
As said by Fabian, IOS natively only supports S/ MIME keys. This works rather seamlessly. You nearly do not notice it. However to exchange or DELETE outdated S/MIME certificates of others is a real pain and made me stop working with it.

The IOS apps for working with openpg encryption are iPGMail and oPenGP. Both interact with mail by cut and paste of content and you can transfer your private keys and public keys by help of the iTunes App and a cable from your windows or Mac PC. It works but due to the cut and paste workflow use is rather inconvenient.

Kind regards
Juergen Polster

Re: How to use a the same generated keypair on enigmail/thunderbird and iOS Mail

Andrew Gallagher
On 2017/07/16 18:24, Jürgen Polster wrote:
> The IOS apps for working with openpg encryption are iPGMail and
> oPenGP. Both interact with mail by cut and paste of content

In the case of iPGMail, it can also use the "mail attachment" OS hook to
automatically populate a draft email. You still need to press "send" a
second time, but you don't have to mess around with clipboards.

The disadvantage is that sending encrypted messages as attachments is
not standards compliant, and enigmail for one has great trouble dealing
with them at the other end. Unfortunately there's no way for an iOS app
to implement PGP/MIME properly, given Apple's strict restrictions on
email apps.