LibreOffice with gpgme/OpenPGP support for ODF signing and document encryption

thb

LibreOffice with gpgme/OpenPGP support for ODF signing and document encryption

thb
'evening all,

so to put the chunk of patches I've just sent to this list into
perspective (and also perhaps you've heard about it elsewhere) - we
spent some time last year to provide LibreOffice with a working
OpenPGP backend to the already-existing X509 xml crypto engine.

Which means, for the upcoming LibreOffice 6.0, you should be able to
transparently use your GPG keys for doing the obvious things. On
Windows, OSX, and Linux.

The part that was surprisingly difficult was getting gpgme +
dependencies to build on cygwin+msvc, which is a hard requirement for
LibreOffice on that platform. Still, with the patches on the list now,
the code builds and works (albeit some 5% or so gross hackery remains,
to work around libtool sillyness - this stays downstream until I've
figured out a cleaner way).

Please do reach out for questions; I'll be at FOSDEM this coming
weekend.

All the best,

-- Thorsten

Re: LibreOffice with gpgme/OpenPGP support for ODF signing and document encryption

Werner Koch
On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 20:57, [hidden email] said:

> Which means, for the upcoming LibreOffice 6.0, you should be able to
> transparently use your GPG keys for doing the obvious things. On
> Windows, OSX, and Linux.

:-)

> The part that was surprisingly difficult was getting gpgme +
> dependencies to build on cygwin+msvc, which is a hard requirement for

Dues that mean LibreOffice for Windows is a Cygwin build?

What does Cygwin+msvc mean - this seems to be a controdiction to me.

> Please do reach out for questions; I'll be at FOSDEM this coming
> weekend.

Let's have a brief meeting there.  I'll send you my ophone number.

Re: LibreOffice with gpgme/OpenPGP support for ODF signing and document encryption

Bernhard Reiter-7
Hi Thorsten,

Am Dienstag 30 Januar 2018 20:57:33 schrieb Thorsten Behrens:
> Which means, for the upcoming LibreOffice 6.0, you should be able to
> transparently use your GPG keys for doing the obvious things. On
> Windows, OSX, and Linux.

thanks for sharing the news and submitting patches!

Personally I cannot judge if and how they can be integrated.
Gpg4win crosscompiles for windows and thus cygwin+msvc seems
to be a new toolchain.

> The part that was surprisingly difficult was getting gpgme +
> dependencies to build on cygwin+msvc, which is a hard requirement for
> LibreOffice on that platform. Still, with the patches on the list now,
> the code builds and works (albeit some 5% or so gross hackery remains,
> to work around libtool sillyness - this stays downstream until I've
> figured out a cleaner way).

Can you send a link to the code that you have in your public repo somwhere?

Also it would be cool if you document your contract somewhere, so it stays on
record. (For some of the contracts related to Gpg4win, we used
https://wiki.gnupg.org/Gpg4win, at your deliberation you can use the wiki as
well. At least I'd like to link to it. :) )

Best Regards,
Bernhard

thb

Re: LibreOffice with gpgme/OpenPGP support for ODF signing and document encryption

thb
Hi Bernhard,

Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Personally I cannot judge if and how they can be integrated.
> Gpg4win crosscompiles for windows and thus cygwin+msvc seems
> to be a new toolchain.

I know, and that was the challenge at least for the pieces that we
needed to link into LibreOffice. For obvious reasons, it is a hard
requirement that LibreOffice builds from source, including all 3rd
party dependencies.

> Can you send a link to the code that you have in your public repo somwhere?

Here goes:
- gpgme:
  https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/external/gpgmepp
- libassuan:
  https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/external/libassuan
- libgpg-error:
  https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/external/libgpg-error

> Also it would be cool if you document your contract somewhere, so it
> stays on record.

We've collected some pointers here:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/gpg4libre

The feature itself was funded last year by the German Federal Office
for Information Security, for which the LibreOffice project is very
grateful.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

thb

Werner Koch wrote:
> Dues that mean LibreOffice for Windows is a Cygwin build?
>
> What does Cygwin+msvc mean - this seems to be a controdiction to me.

LibreOffice is a beast - so the --build is cygwin, _except_ for the
compiler, which is msvc. And --host is obviously W32/W64 native.

There are hysterical reasons for that odd setup. ;)

> Let's have a brief meeting there.  I'll send you my ophone number.

Happy to!

Cheers,

-- Thorsten