Quantcast

Opening the Gnupg interface on linux

Tay Too
Hello everybody, very new to linux, and pretty unfamiliar with gnupg still, only used a few times. Yesterday i was able to open an actual window of Gnupg through my terminal with a command similar to ~/.gnupg    now when i enter this it tells me this is a directory and wont do anything with it, any help?

Re: Opening the Gnupg interface on linux

William Senn
Hi Tay Too,

Yes, .gnupg is a directory where gpg finds/puts its files. The command you want is either:

gpg
or
gpg2

You can learn a bit more about it via an online tutorial, but also via the man page (the manual page on your computer) by typing:

man gpg
or possibly man gnupg (i'm not at console atm)!

There might also be an info page:

info gpg

Good luck!

Will

--
Sent from my iPhone

Will Senn, PhD
Assistant Professor of Community Informatics
School of Library and Information Studies
Texas Woman's University
Stoddard Hall, Room 408

Phone: <a href="tel:615-604-5354" dir="ltr" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="telephone" x-apple-data-detectors-result="2/0" style="-webkit-text-decoration-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.258824);">615-603-5354
Email: [hidden email]

On Apr 6, 2017, at 1:12 AM, Tay Too <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello everybody, very new to linux, and pretty unfamiliar with gnupg still, only used a few times. Yesterday i was able to open an actual window of Gnupg through my terminal with a command similar to ~/.gnupg    now when i enter this it tells me this is a directory and wont do anything with it, any help?

Re: Opening the Gnupg interface on linux

Antony Prince
On April 6, 2017 2:12:08 AM EDT, Tay Too <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Hello everybody, very new to linux, and pretty unfamiliar with gnupg
>still,
>only used a few times. Yesterday i was able to open an actual window of
>Gnupg through my terminal with a command similar to ~/.gnupg    now
>when i
>enter this it tells me this is a directory and wont do anything with
>it,
>any help?

 It is indeed a directory. The tilde character is a shortcut for your home directory and .gnupg in your home directory is where gnupg stores its information for that particular user. Depending on the versions of your OS and gnupg, you can invoke gnupg by typing either 'gpg' or 'gpg2' into the terminal. Adding the switch '--help' to this command will show you common options and a brief explanation. 'man gpg' or 'man gpg2' should show you the gnupg manual pages which provides a more in depth explanation of various options. There are various guides on the website, but I don't have any links for them at the moment.
--
HTH,
Antony

Re: Opening the Gnupg interface on linux

Hello,

You'll probably want to learn a bit about the shell and the directory structure of unix-ish based systems before going too far into gpg. (if you're using linux, the shell is most likely called bash)

What you're attempting to do is execute a directory as if it were a command, what you may want to do is:

echo $PATH

There should be a bunch of pathnames delimited by colons, something like: /bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin the directories listed in your PATH
environment variable specify where the various programs are, so you can do a directory listing in each one if you wish to find out about the
available commands.

This isn't really a PGP question, and I'm thankful you asked it because I don't get many chances to answer peoples PGP questions, given that I don't really know much about PGP :-)

Have fun with Linux, and be sure to check out FreeBSD too! ;-)

Jamie

 Subject: Opening the Gnupg interface on linux
 To: [hidden email]