RSS/Atom for the GnuPG blog?

GnuPG - User mailing list
Hello, everyone

There is a nice blog that GnuPG people write:
https://www.gnupg.org/blog/index.html

But there seems to be no way to subscribe to it via standard Atom/RSS
feed.
Is this intentional? Or maybe I just haven't found the links?

Thanks.
--
Vladimir Nikishkin (MiEr, lockywolf)
(Laptop)

Re: RSS/Atom for the GnuPG blog?

jman

Vladimir Nikishkin via Gnupg-users <[hidden email]> writes:

> There is a nice blog that GnuPG people write:
> https://www.gnupg.org/blog/index.html
>
> But there seems to be no way to subscribe to it via standard Atom/RSS
> feed.
> Is this intentional? Or maybe I just haven't found the links?

There's no direct RSS/Atom feed (afaics). However the blog is a git
repository [0] with a RSS/Atom feed (there's a link at the bottom of the
page). As a workaround you subscribe to that feed (I didn't test it).

regards,

[0]
https://git.gnupg.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=gnupg-doc.git;a=tree;f=misc/blog.gnupg.org

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 18:25, Vladimir Nikishkin said:

> But there seems to be no way to subscribe to it via standard Atom/RSS
> feed.
> Is this intentional? Or maybe I just haven't found the links?

I have simply not yet come around to implement it.  I got some code but
iirc, I was not sure whether to use RSS or Atom and forgot about it.  We
have an open bug, though: https://dev.gnupg.org/T3211 and I just raised
the priority.

New blog entries are rare, which needs to be addressed as well.

* Free Assange and protect free journalism!
* Germany: Sign the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons!

On 2021-01-21 at 11:46 +0100, jman wrote:
> There's no direct RSS/Atom feed (afaics). However the blog is a git
> repository [0] with a RSS/Atom feed (there's a link at the bottom of the
> page). As a workaround you subscribe to that feed (I didn't test it).

I have tested it: I use Slack with the /feed command to manage some
topic channels dedicated to RSS feeds on that topic.  This is how I
first saw the libgcrypt 1.9.0 announcement.

That feed is subscribed to:
  https://git.gnupg.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=gnupg-doc.git;a=rss;f=web/index.org

Not all GnuPG related updates make it across to the doc repo in a timely
manner, but it's still a useful feed: the docs site is almost entirely
updated only for new releases so this is high signal/noise.  I have this
in my #feed-releases channel.

-Phil

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 11:00, Phil Pennock said:

> That feed is subscribed to:
>   https://git.gnupg.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=gnupg-doc.git;a=rss;f=web/index.org

Interesting.  And I thought this repos is something nobody watches - so
sorry for possibly not too polite log comments.

BTW, if you are just interested in updates to our software you can check
also https://versions.gnupg.org/swdb.lst for updates.  Or watch the
source of this list, which is is in the gnupg-doc repo as swdb.mac.

The tool gnupg/build-aux/getswdb.sh might be useful for automation
tasks.  I use it as part of the release process.

Commit subject lines are also posted to twitter @gnuprivacyguard and I
tend to tweet about new gnupg versions at @gnupg.  But yes, an RSS feed
for the blog and gnupg-announce would indeed be useful.

On 2021-01-22 at 18:10 +0100, Werner Koch via Gnupg-users wrote:

> BTW, if you are just interested in updates to our software you can check
> also https://versions.gnupg.org/swdb.lst for updates.  Or watch the
> source of this list, which is is in the gnupg-doc repo as swdb.mac.
>
> The tool gnupg/build-aux/getswdb.sh might be useful for automation
> tasks.  I use it as part of the release process.
>
> Commit subject lines are also posted to twitter @gnuprivacyguard and I
> tend to tweet about new gnupg versions at @gnupg.  But yes, an RSS feed
> for the blog and gnupg-announce would indeed be useful.

What would be most useful for me is an RSS feed of changes to swdb.lst;
I retrieve that file when doing a fresh package build, so will always be
up-to-date when there's a new release of gnupg but not always between
times.

I haven't bothered building my own gateway to RSS for this; the setup
was mostly "find the RSS feeds for projects I care about and add them",
not, at the time I set it up, spending time on stuff for each project.

Like it or not, RSS is the common language for "new event in a series
limited to at most a few events a day but sometimes months between
events" for stuff on the web.  It's not just for desktop dedicated apps,
but also integrations into other products.

So the team chat product I use (closed source, not naming again) has
channels, and I have #feed-blogposts, #feed-releases, #feed-security,
#feed-status.

Then in #feed-releases I just `/feed subscribe <URL>` for URLs for
OpenSSL, GnuPg, Kubernetes, various programming languages, etc.

If there were an RSS feed of swdb.lst then it would be easier to set it
up as a trigger in a CI system to auto-build packages.  All the sorts of
things that _can_ be done without it, but life is just easier when the
support is baked in for the common interchange format.

-Phil