Quantcast

The GNU Privacy Handbook pdf version?

Charles Bradshaw
Hi

I have been looking at the HTML and PDF versions of 'The GNU Privacy
Handbook'. I'm viewing http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual/book1.html and
http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual.pdf

I note that all the command parameters in the pdf version are marked up
with a single minus '-' prefix!

eg. gpg "-gen-key", which should, of course, be "--gen-key" (ie minus
minus)

I think I am subscribed to [hidden email] to find out how to update
the document, but the list appears to be dead?

Regards Charles Bradshaw

Re: The GNU Privacy Handbook pdf version?

A.M. Kuchling
On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 10:09:39AM +0100, Charles Bradshaw wrote:
> I note that all the command parameters in the pdf version are marked up
> with a single minus '-' prefix!

I wonder if this is a bug in whatever version of Texinfo was used to
produce the PDF.  LaTeX normally turns '--' into a single en-dash.

I also wrote Mike Ashley asking for a pointer to the Texinfo source;
once we get a copy, we can try a current version of Texinfo and see if
the problem is fixed.

--amk

On Sat,  7 Sep 2013 11:09, [hidden email] said:

> I note that all the command parameters in the pdf version are marked up
> with a single minus '-' prefix!

That is just one of the problems with SGML rendering tools.  Actually
such examples should show up in a monspaces font so that you indeed
notice the two hyphens.

I talked with Mike and he would be fine to swicth to org-mode.