WKD submission without email client

Bernhard Reiter-7
Werner, Andre,

just wondering today: If my email client does not yet support managing of my
pubkeys via WKD do we somewhere have instructions or scripts to do this
manually?

There is
https://wiki.gnupg.org/WKS?highlight=%28submission%29#Test_your_installation
which basically are instructions how to do this manually with gpg-wks-client

This can be improved and there are systems where we do not have gpg-wks-client
available or it is not easy to send the mail properly.

a) Debian Stable (Stretch) does not have gpg-wks-client by default
    https://packages.debian.org/source/stretch/gnupg2
    (Testing has it meanwhile, thanks dkg).

b) On windows Gpg4win 3 comes with gpg-wks-client, but
  I guess that the part of feeding the output email
  into the email may not work that easily.

Potential solutions:
* Add a cross plattform python script that may be able to
  be downloaded and used and works more easily.
* Provide gpg-wks-client for more plattforms (backport)
* Add instructions for windows that are step by step
* Add this to Kleopatra or GpgOL to cover larger fractions of
  users on windows.

And then place it on the wiki.

Best Regards,
Bernhard

Re: WKD submission without email client

Werner Koch
On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 10:57, [hidden email] said:

> just wondering today: If my email client does not yet support managing of my
> pubkeys via WKD do we somewhere have instructions or scripts to do this
> manually?

The long term idea is to have an abstract interface in gpg, for example
"gpg --publish" which takes care of publishing a key.  In the meantime
gpg-wks-client can be used on _standard_ Unix boxes; there is a man page
but the real problem is that on Windows and, according to what I have
heard, the standard sendmail wrapper is not anymore installed by default
on Linux boxes.  Thus the only way to send an email is by using a MUA
that supports publishing a key (Kmail and Enigmail right now)

> * Add a cross plattform python script that may be able to
>   be downloaded and used and works more easily.

Python is usually not available on Windows.  For Unix we could do a
standard script but that is not really better than the existing client.

> * Provide gpg-wks-client for more plattforms (backport)

It is available for all platforms, whether a distro installs it is not
our choice.

> * Add instructions for windows that are step by step

Does not work because we can't send mail from the command line.

> * Add this to Kleopatra or GpgOL to cover larger fractions of
>   users on windows.

It is possible to do this for GpgOL.  Kleopatra needs a MUA.

Am Mittwoch 31 Januar 2018 11:15:01 schrieb Werner Koch:

> > If my email client does not yet support managing of

> > my pubkeys via WKD do we somewhere have instructions or scripts to do

> > this manually?

> The long term idea is to have an abstract interface in gpg, for example

> "gpg --publish" which takes care of publishing a key. In the meantime

> gpg-wks-client can be used on _standard_ Unix boxes;

At first thought I believe that sending email should not be done directly

from "gpg". SMTP and the authentication to the receiving server is complex

that I see it in GnuPG on the long run.

We really need to build WKD managing into more email clients.

> > * Add a cross plattform python script that may be able to

> > be downloaded and used and works more easily.

> Python is usually not available on Windows. For Unix we could do a

> standard script but that is not really better than the existing client.

The smtpclient module would be cross plattform and is part

of Python's standard library. Okay, on windows we would need to either bundle Python itself into a single binary or have users download Python.

I'd say that the step of sending the email is hard even on GNU-systems

so in case there is no sendmail or no gpg-wks-client, it would be useful to have.

An alternative would be a go implementation and a single binary

https://godoc.org/net/smtp but we would need to build one for each

hardware plattform.

> > * Provide gpg-wks-client for more plattforms (backport)

> It is available for all platforms, whether a distro installs it is not

> our choice.

But a practical problem for our users on these platforms.

> > * Add instructions for windows that are step by step

> Does not work because we can't send mail from the command line.

Maybe we'll find a way to do with with several typical windows clients like Outlook, Thunderbird, Claws..

Best,

On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 12:29, [hidden email] said:

> from "gpg". SMTP and the authentication to the receiving server is complex
> that I see it in GnuPG on the long run.

Na, that is not complex.  The real problem is to tell the user that the
credentials and parameters for the mail account are also required by
GnuPG.  That would be surprising.  Even if you can do that the standard
MUA would anyway received the challenge and the user needs to find out
how to pass this to gpg.

> We really need to build WKD managing into more email clients.

Ack.

> Maybe we'll find a way to do with with several typical windows clients like Outlook, Thunderbird, Claws..

Sending arbitray MIME mails with TB is complicated to impossible but
fortunately TB already supports WKD.