gpg: error searching keyserver: Network is unreachable

gpg: error searching keyserver: Network is unreachable

Christian Ribeaud

Good morning,

Desperately searching for hours now…

I am NOT able to run following command:

gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.dcc.sib.swiss:80 --keyserver-options no-self-sigs-only,no-import-clean --search-keys <any-key>

Always getting following output:

gpg: error searching keyserver: No keyserver available

gpg: keyserver search failed: No keyserver available

Changing keyserver does not help. I've tried ipv4.pool.sks-keyservers.net as well.

Because the command takes some time to return, I would assume that it is still trying to do something.

What could be the reason? How to fix it?

I am using v2.2.27, installed via Homebrew (https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/HEAD/Formula/gnupg.rb) on Mac OS X Big Sur.

Any help greatly appreciated here. Thanks a lot, and have a beautiful day,

christian

Re: gpg: error searching keyserver: Network is unreachable

Klaus Ethgen
Hi Christian,

Am Sa den  6. Mär 2021 um  8:44 schrieb Christian Ribeaud:
> Desperately searching for hours now???
> I am NOT able to run following command:
>
> gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.dcc.sib.swiss:80 --keyserver-options no-self-sigs-only,no-import-clean --search-keys <any-key>
>
> Always getting following output:
>
> gpg: error searching keyserver: No keyserver available
> gpg: keyserver search failed: No keyserver available

Remember, dirmng is using tor by default if it is installed and running!

You have to put no-use-tor to your .gnupg/dirmngr.conf to prevent this.

This did cost me hours to find out, when the feature was implemented.

Regards
   Klaus
--
Klaus Ethgen                                       http://www.ethgen.ch/
pub  4096R/4E20AF1C 2011-05-16            Klaus Ethgen <[hidden email]>