libgcrypt selftest failed

Christopher Mansfield
Hi there,

I'm running libgcrypt-1.9.0 on a Gentoo linux arm64. (actually I have 3
arm64 machines and one x86_64 machine, all running Gentoo). I use the
keepassxc application on all of these machines. After updating libgcrypt
in the past couple of days, keepassxc won't start on my arm64 machines
anymore. If I start it from a terminal, I see this message:

libgcrypt selftest: kdf  (34): invalid tests data
(0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFEFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
libgcrypt selftest: kdf  (34): Selftest failed

The same keepassxc application works just fine on my x86_64 machine.

I created a small c program that calls GCRYTL_SELFTEST and it gives the
same error on my arm64 machine. No error from my x86_64 machine.

Would appreciate any help with figuring out what's wrong - not sure if
it's an actual bug, or maybe just the wrong build options.

Thanks,
Chris

Re: libgcrypt selftest failed

Ingo Klöcker
On Donnerstag, 28. Januar 2021 01:51:30 CET Christopher Mansfield wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm running libgcrypt-1.9.0 on a Gentoo linux arm64. (actually I have 3
> arm64 machines and one x86_64 machine, all running Gentoo). I use the
> keepassxc application on all of these machines. After updating libgcrypt
> in the past couple of days, keepassxc won't start on my arm64 machines
> anymore. If I start it from a terminal, I see this message:
>
> libgcrypt selftest: kdf  (34): invalid tests data
> (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFEFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
> FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF) libgcrypt selftest: kdf  (34):
> Selftest failed
>
> The same keepassxc application works just fine on my x86_64 machine.
>
> I created a small c program that calls GCRYTL_SELFTEST and it gives the
> same error on my arm64 machine. No error from my x86_64 machine.
Several problems with arm64 have been reported for libgcrypt-1.9.0, e.g.
https://dev.gnupg.org/T5251

I suggest to report your findings also at https://dev.gnupg.org/ to ensure
that it's fixed in 1.9.1.

Also: The gcrypt-devel mailing list [1] is better suited for reports/questions
about libgcrypt.

Regards,
Ingo

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 00:51, Christopher Mansfield said:

> libgcrypt selftest: kdf  (34): Selftest failed

Please see the comments at https://dev.gnupg.org/T4294  which lists
known bugs and fixes.  In your case it is T5254 .

We have fixed a couple of bugs this week and even if tehre are still
some open bugs a new release will be done by tomorrow.

Re: libgcrypt selftest failed

Christopher Mansfield
Great - I tried the patch from that bug and it fixes the issue. I'll use
that until the new release is ready.

Thanks!
Chris