mailto:gnupg-users@gnupg.org?Subject=Re: Can IPAD or Android Tablets create Keys and use gnupg

GnuPG - User mailing list
mailto:[hidden email]?Subject=Re: Can IPAD or Android Tablets create Keys and use gnupg&In-Reply-To=<[hidden email]>

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Re: Can IPAD or Android Tablets create Keys and use gnupg

Bernhard Reiter-7
Am Mittwoch 10 März 2021 09:12:03 schrieb geostyles2020--- via Gnupg-users:
>  Can IPAD or Android Tablets create Keys and use gnupg

GnuPG is a crypto tool, which implements standards like OpenPGP
and Cryptographic Message Syntax.

An email application is needed in addition
to read and send OpenPGP/MIME or S/MIME emails.

(There are other tools, that also implement those standards.)

So your question can be understood in several dimentions:
a) is there a port (or distribution) of GnuPG
   for Android?

Not really. Details: There used to be
https://github.com/guardianproject/gnupg-for-android
but it is unmaintained and outdated.
So it is technically feasable, but not one does the work.

b) is there a port (or distribution) of GnuPG
   for iOS?

Not that I know of.
Details: There are probably technical and license challenges to port
GnuPG to iOS. While I believe that it is possible to port C applications
to iOS, it is unclear if someone could place it is in the appstore.
Note that GnuPG ports to MacOSX exist.

c) Are there compatible OpenPGP and OpenPGP/MIME implementations for
   Android?

Yes, e.g. Openkeychain + K9Mail (both being Free Software)

d) Are there compatible OpenPGP and OpenPGP/MIME implementations for iOS?

Yes, though proprietary Software (AFAIK), for example I've heard about
Canary Mail, iPGMail, PGPro, Safe Easy Privacy

Regards,
Bernhard

On 12/03/2021 14:29, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> d) Are there compatible OpenPGP and OpenPGP/MIME implementations for iOS?
>
> Yes, though proprietary Software (AFAIK), for example I've heard about
> Canary Mail, iPGMail, PGPro, Safe Easy Privacy

PGPro is open source, but neither it nor iPGMail handle openPGP/MIME -
they use various tricks with the clipboard and attachments to exchange
ciphertext with the native iOS mail app, due to restrictions in iOS
<=v13 that forbid third-party apps direct access to the mail delivery API.

(The less said about SAFE Easy Privacy's hateful UX, the better)

Canary Mail is the only one of the above which has (so far) taken
advantage of the new iOS 14 app policy to implement openPGP/MIME. I have
not used it much, but it appears well-built (and closed-source, and pricey).

--
Andrew Gallagher

Am 12.03.21 um 15:29 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
> c) Are there compatible OpenPGP and OpenPGP/MIME implementations for
>     Android?
>
> Yes, e.g. Openkeychain + K9Mail (both being Free Software)

I can also name following Android Apps here

   - FairEMail (+ Openkeychain)
   - R2Mail2
   - MailDroid (+ Crypto-PlugIn)

which supports BOTH OpenPGP and S/MIME.
All of them are available for a small fee.

best regards
Juergen
--
/¯\   No  |
\ /  HTML |    Juergen Bruckner

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Can IPAD or Android Tablets create Keys and use gnupg

Bernhard Reiter-7
Andrew, Jürgen,

Am Freitag 12 März 2021 18:15:18 schrieb Juergen Bruckner via Gnupg-users:
> I can also name following Android Apps here

thanks for sharing your experiences?

Anyone cares to link this from wiki.gnupg.org?
To me it would be cool, if more details are available there,
I do sometimes updates some, but more help would be cool. ;)

Best,
Bernhard