name field restriction when creating key

name field restriction when creating key

steve (GPGTools)
Dear all,

we've recently noticed that gnupg imposes some interesting restrictions on the name field when creating a key. The name can either be empty or must have a minimum of 5 characters. Since that strikes us as kind of odd, we were wondering if someone could shed some light on why it was implemented this way.

We're thinking of removing this restriction in GPG Keychain (by using the --batch option) and also wanted to make sure that the removal doesn't cause any potential incompatibilities or other problems.

Best,

Steve
GPGTools

ilf

Re: name field restriction when creating key

ilf
steve (GPGTools):
> we've recently noticed that gnupg imposes some interesting
> restrictions on the name field when creating a key. The name can
> either be empty or must have a minimum of 5 characters. Since that
> strikes us as kind of odd, we were wondering if someone could shed
> some light on why it was implemented this way.

There's an option "allow-freeform-uid", described as:

--
ilf

Über 80 Millionen Deutsche benutzen keine Konsole. Klick dich nicht weg!
                -- Eine Initiative des Bundesamtes für Tastaturbenutzung

Re: name field restriction when creating key

Daniel Kahn Gillmor-7
On Thu 2017-04-13 19:07:01 +0200, steve (GPGTools) wrote:

> we've recently noticed that gnupg imposes some interesting
> restrictions on the name field when creating a key. The name can
> either be empty or must have a minimum of 5 characters. Since that
> strikes us as kind of odd, we were wondering if someone could shed
> some light on why it was implemented this way.
>
> We're thinking of removing this restriction in GPG Keychain (by using
> the --batch option) and also wanted to make sure that the removal
> doesn't cause any potential incompatibilities or other problems.

I also recommend that toolkit developers (like gpgtools) should use
--quick-gen-key (assuming you're depending on the 2.1.x branch of GnuPG,
which you should be in 2017), which accepts an arbitrary string as the
full User ID (no distinction between different "fields" at all).

         --dkg

Re: name field restriction when creating key

Werner Koch
On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 18:01, [hidden email] said:

> I also recommend that toolkit developers (like gpgtools) should use
> --quick-gen-key (assuming you're depending on the 2.1.x branch of GnuPG,
> which you should be in 2017), which accepts an arbitrary string as the
> full User ID (no distinction between different "fields" at all).

Let me add that GPGME wraps this into the new

    gpgme_op_createkey

API.  See:

https://gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gpgme/Generating-Keys.html