pinentry will not ask me for passphrase

GnuPG - User mailing list
Hello. I’m a mac user and I am using `pinentry-mac` via homebrew. The
homebrew package
links to repository for `pinentry` so that is why I am asking here (not
sure if that
specific port is maintained by somebody).

I’m not sure what happened in past day or so but when I set
`pinentry-program` in my
`gpg-agent.conf` to value `pinentry-mac`, I’m never asked for
passphrase anymore.
It definitely used to work. I have tried restarting `gpg-agent` but I
had not luck.

If I delete `pinentry-program` from the config, I’m asked for
passphrase. I believe
if no `pinentry-program` is provided, `pinentry-tty` is the default (?).

Can this be caused by some other settings on my system. Currently
running macOS
Catalina v10.15.7

Thank you.

Re: pinentry will not ask me for passphrase

Lukas Pitschl | GPGTools
Hi Ondřej,

> I’m not sure what happened in past day or so but when I set `pinentry-program` in my
> `gpg-agent.conf` to value `pinentry-mac`,

Are you using the full path in your gpg-agent.conf?
`pinentry-program /usr/local/bin/pinentry-mac`

You might also try calling `/usr/local/bin/pinentry-mac —version` and see if that correctly reports the version.

Best,

Lukas

On Mon Feb 15, 2021 at 4:16 PM CET, Lukas Pitschl wrote:
> Are you using the full path in your gpg-agent.conf?
> `pinentry-program /usr/local/bin/pinentry-mac`

Yes that is how I specified it, exactly like that.

> You might also try calling `/usr/local/bin/pinentry-mac —version` and
> see if that correctly reports the version.

That reports the following:

```
pinentry-mac (pinentry) 1.1.0
Copyright (C) 2016 g10 Code GmbH
License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/>
```

I think that is the latest version, right? I still do not understand how
specifying `pinentry-program` just overrides passphrase entirely.
That's pretty dangerous I think. Or maybe I'm just misunderstood the
way it's supposed to be used.

On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 16:23, Ondřej Synáček said:

> pinentry-mac (pinentry) 1.1.0
> Copyright (C) 2016 g10 Code GmbH

FWIW: We do not provide a pinentry under that name.  This must be a
homebrew specific change which unfortunately is not reflected by the
version number.

The latest pinentry is 1.1.1, released a few weeks ago.

g10 Code GmbH       https://g10code.com     AmtsGer. Wuppertal HRB 14459
Hüttenstr. 61                               Geschäftsführung Werner Koch
D-40699 Erkrath  -=- The GnuPG Experts -=-  USt-Id DE215605608

On Wed Feb 17, 2021 at 11:37 AM CET, Werner Koch wrote:
> FWIW: We do not provide a pinentry under that name. This must be a
> homebrew specific change which unfortunately is not reflected by the
> version number.

I looked up `pinentry-mac` via Homebrew website[1] to see who is the
maintainer or where I could find more info.
From the URL[2] I followed here to this mailing list. I guess
them linking to `pinentry` is then wrong (?).

Well I got my help here which is very much appreciated.

[1] https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/pinentry-mac
[2] https://github.com/GPGTools/pinentry