storing PINs of credit / EC cards with GnuPG

storing PINs of credit / EC cards with GnuPG

Matthias Apitz

Hello,

This question is perhaps only for German users of GnuPG. In the past
German banks and credit institutes prohibited the storing of PIN numbers
etc. on personal computer systems, even claiming that in the case of storing
they would not have been responsible anymore for the abuse of stolen
credit cards.

What is the current situation about this issue in the German law if such
PIN numbers are stored ciphered with GnuPG?

Thanks

        matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ [hidden email], ⌂ http://www.unixarea.de/  ☎ +49-176-38902045
8. Mai 1945: Wer nicht feiert hat den Krieg verloren.

Re: storing PINs of credit / EC cards with GnuPG

Julian H. Stacey-3
> Hello,
> This question is perhaps only for German users of GnuPG. In the past
> German banks and credit institutes prohibited the storing of PIN numbers
> etc. on personal computer systems, even claiming that in the case of storing
> they would not have been responsible anymore for the abuse of stolen
> credit cards.
>
> What is the current situation about this issue in the German law if such
> PIN numbers are stored ciphered with GnuPG?
>
> Thanks
>
> matthias

Hi Matthias cc gnupg-users@
Others that might know: German SAGE (Sys Admin Guild)
        http://guug.de/sage/index.html
1.5 hours back I posted to SAGE/Munich suggesting a beer garden tonight.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey, Computer Consultant, BSD Linux Unix Systems Engineer
 Reply below, Prefix '> '. Plain text, No .doc, base64, HTML, quoted-printable.

Re: storing PINs of credit / EC cards with GnuPG

Heinz Diehl-4
On 10.07.2017, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> This question is perhaps only for German users of GnuPG. In the past
> German banks and credit institutes prohibited the storing of PIN numbers
> etc. on personal computer systems

Does anybody care?

> even claiming that in the case of storing
> they would not have been responsible anymore for the abuse of stolen
> credit cards.

..what still has to be proofed in case this happens.

> What is the current situation about this issue in the German law if such
> PIN numbers are stored ciphered with GnuPG?

If storing the PIN on personal computers is prohibited, then... it's
prohibited.

Cheers, Heinz (not living in Germany and storing all PINs within a
password manager)