using GnuPG card for Firefox master password

using GnuPG card for Firefox master password

Matthias Apitz

Hi,

I have a bunch of saved logins in Firefox, protected by some so called
master password. Is there a way for using the GnuPG card as the master
password, maybe some plug-in for FF?

Thanks

        matthias
--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ [hidden email], ⌂ http://www.unixarea.de/  ☎ +49-176-38902045
8. Mai 1945: Wer nicht feiert hat den Krieg verloren.

Re: using GnuPG card for Firefox master password

Damien Goutte-Gattat
Hi,

On 07/02/2017 08:51 PM, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> I have a bunch of saved logins in Firefox, protected by some so called
> master password. Is there a way for using the GnuPG card as the master
> password, maybe some plug-in for FF?

As far as I know, not as the master password protecting Firefox's own
password store. But what you can do is make Firefox use *another*
password store, one that relies on GnuPG.

pass [1] is a password manager which encrypts passwords with the user's
GnuPG key. Several plug-ins are available to instruct Firefox to use
pass instead of its own password storage system, such as PassFF [2] or
BrowserPass [3]. (Disclaimer: I tried none of them.)

So, when Firefox will need a password it will ask pass, which will call
gpg, which will in turn "call" your smartcard.

An obvious drawback of this method is that you need to migrate all your
passwords from Firefox's own storage to pass. There is at least one
script available for that [4], but again I did not try it.

Hope that helps,

Damien

[1] https://www.passwordstore.org/
[2] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/passff/